Friday, August 21, 2009

Thunderstorm Over Bear Lake.


As the sun sets.. A storm brews.















It was a miracle that I was able to catch even one photo of the lightning over Bear Lake. Lightning is extremely difficult to shoot. It's not as simple as "When you see it, click the shutter button." Ha! I only wish! We were out there for about an hour trying to get pictures of lightning. After about the first half hour, I finally got the hang of it.

The easiest time to try and shoot lightning would be when it's very dark outside. This allows you to leave your shutter open longer, which gives you a better chance at getting the shot. With the shutter open longer, you'll need a tripod or stationary surface to set your camera on while the picture is being taken. I left my shutter on for about 25 seconds. I kept taking picture after picture, even if I hadn't gotten a lightning strike.

It was pure luck whenever a lightning bolt would strike at the same time my shutter was open to capture it.

P.S. The pictures are SOOC except for a slight darkening on a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment