Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Last Day of Middle School...

Many life changing experiences occurred on this day..

An obvious one is that it was my last day in Middle School, a place in which I have spent three years of my life. I've met so many new people and I've made so many lasting relationships. I came into Middle School knowing no one. I went to Morningside Elementary where all of my friends were going to Wasatch and Churchill, and Midvale Middle was totally unfamiliar to me. I spent days on end begging my mother to let me go to the other middle schools with my friends, but I am so glad I didn't. The new people I met in Middle School are so amazing, and I love them more than they know. They're my best friends, and I don't know what my life would be like if I hadn't met them! The teachers I met in Middle School also became a big part of my life. I remember my favorite teacher in 7th grade was Ms. Putnam.. She was always so cheery, outgoing, and funny. I was able to keep in touch with her through the years thanks to MESA. The 8th grade teachers that really made an impact were Mr. Bliss and Mr. Christensen. Mr. Bliss shared my love for animals and my integrity to save them. He was vegan while I was vegetarian. I was also able to stay in touch through Class of Rock the next year. This amazing homeroom helped my friends and I get our band together, and Mr. Bliss even got all of the bands a show down at Kilby Court! This teacher is truly inspiring and a great person. Mr. Christensen was a great teacher. We all thought he was so hard on us.. HA! I'm happy he was, because it got me ready for Stucki. Mr. Christensen always encouraged us to do our best in everything. He was totally laid back and really cool. We were all really sad that he was moving to Riverton the next year.. But I was able to see him from time to time thanks to Cross Country. In 9th grade, I don't think I could choose a teacher or two that were majorly influential.. Because they all were. I remember telling friends and family all the time that I was so content with my schedule and that I loved all of my teachers. The two teachers I had the year before became even more special. Mrs. Thurnau was quiet and kind.. But everyone knew she had a rocker side. My friends and I always agreed that she was a really great, fun, and all-around cool person. Her nose piercing was the only hint we had to her "other side" :P. Ms. Porter was an admirable person. We always respected how easy it was for her to take control of the classroom. Her teaching methods were different yet effective, and busy work was always kept to a minimum. She was kind and understanding, but firm. Ms. Porter was one of those teachers who made you want to succeed. Mr. Stucki was a very... interesting teacher ;). At times he seemed completely irrational, but there was always some method to his madness. He would always make us find the answer by ourselves. His reasoning was that if we had all of the answers thrown at us, we wouldn't learn a thing. This class was the main source of stress for the entire year.. Despite all the "calm down" speeches Stucki administered. As my cross country and track coach as well, Stucki was always there to encourage and give life-changing advice. Nothing was ever perfect, and you could always push yourself harder in order to succeed. Ms. Bradfield was so kind. She saw things from all perspectives, and never judged a person based on one. She was hilarious and told the best stories. She was always there to help me through my stress, for I often shed a tear during that class (it was right after AP Human... [pre-AP test freakout!]). She was the teacher that you could talk to about anything and you could always count on her to understand. Mr. Saunders was an unbelievable teacher. Math is a tough subject for me, but with Mr. Saunders as a math teacher I think he really helped me pull through and strive in one of my weakest subjects. On top of that, he was also one of those teachers you could go to and talk about anything. We often stopped the lesson to talk about track in front of the whole class. We always talked about track successes and disappointments.. We discussed what I did wrong or right in certain situations. Mr. Saunders' stories were THE best. He was so good at reading people and their emotions. There was no troubled student that could get past him, because he knew exactly how to reach them and help them do their best. His whole year was about us, the students; he always did everything in his power to help us get the most out of our school year. Mr. Saunders is a truly remarkable teacher and I know I will be visiting back with him often. These teachers have effected my life and my will to succeed. There aren't enough thank you's I could give them for this. I only hope that they will reach many more students the same way they have reached me.

On the last day of school there was a talent show, yearbook signing, and a drawing. After the talent show, some friends and I gathered up on the auditorium stage. No one was there but us. Two of our friends were on guitars, and two others were up in the sound booth; DJ-ing and putting on a light show. It was a relaxing (if you could call it that) time to look back on the past three years and....... well.......


... dance. :)




..and eat a little end-of-the-year-celebration-cake. :)


..and play some face game..


Steven and Anton at the talent show.




Malia and Pierce dancing it up at the talent show.

After school, my dad picked me up and we headed over to the hospital to get x-rays for my back. It's been giving me a hard time lately and for a week or so the pain was almost unbearable. I was actually kind of excited to get the x-rays, until I got the news that it wasn't the only thing I was getting at the hospital. "You have to get blood work, too." said Dad. "Whoa whoa whoa.. That means I have to get blood drawn, right?" I replied. "Well, yeah." he said. "Oh just kidding then! My back is FINE!!" Yeah.. that didn't work.

My heart skipped a beat.. or two. Fear crept into my body. I hate needles. I hate shots. I cry every time I have to get one. I've never gotten blood drawn before, but I've heard tons of horror stories. Ugh.. I cried. For a long time. I kept trying to meditate to get myself to calm down.. and it kind of worked. It worked until I was sitting in the chair and the phlebotomist entered the room.. then I lost it. I started hyperventilating. My eyes welled up with tears. The nurse tried to get me to calm down by talking to me about school. I closed my eyes and continued talking with her while the needle went into my skin. We sat there talking for what seemed like an eternity. When it was finally over, I opened my eyes. I was dizzy. Everything was blurry and black. The noise from my Mom's voice and the TV in the waiting room rang through my ears. I was told to put my head down and wait until I felt better. I really thought I was going to pass out or something, but after two cups of water and 10 minutes, I was okay again. When I got up I was still a little dizzy, but I could walk.

I got home later, and my friend Joey came over to visit. I hadn't seen him in a while, so I was pretty happy that we got to hang out. But what made me even happier is that he brought me something......

PHOTOSHOP CS4!!!! woooooo!! And even better.. It's compatible with Topaz Adjust! Ahh, I've been wanting that program for a long time. I probably seem really nerdy right now :) but this program is so cool! If you don't believe me, search it on google! It has some example images on the website where it shows before and after.. It's pretty cool :). I'll be having a lot of fun with it this summer.. But I'll still be using www.picnik.com a lot as well, for I'm more familiar with it.

Next on the agenda: Enjoy an amazing 2009 summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment