Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I Can Change The World.

"You can't change the world, Megan."

They're right, I can't. Not by myself. But there is one small thing that I can do.. and that's raise awareness. For any cause I like, I can raise awareness, if nothing else.

The critics will charge at you. They will try to push you down. They will say, "You can't do it. You're small and insignificant, what can you do? Who will listen to you?" You mustn't listen. Besides, you can just as easily defend yourself by asking, "Well, what are you doing? Sitting on your butt, waiting for someone else to solve all of the problems in the world?" Someone has to start it. And others have to continue the progress.

Look at all of the influential people in the world; people who have changed the world, changed people lives. They started out alone, just a person with a dream. Over time, they raised awareness about their case. Be it through speeches, music, art, or crazy and unusual acts; they did it. And how, some may wonder? Well, it was through all of those compassionate people who stood by them step by step. The people who believed in them and helped raise awareness about their predicament. Those are the people who made it happen, they continued on with what was once started.

You may not be the person with the dream. You may not be the one who started the campaign. But that does not mean you don't matter. It doesn't mean you are small and insignificant. Don't let anyone ever tell you that, because you can make a difference. You are the people who continue on with what was started, you keep it alive. You make sure that everyone is aware. You are the ones who truly make a change. And you do this through whatever way you like, be it speeches, music, art, or crazy and unusual acts.

I have been pursuing a somewhat unusual act for the past 2 years in order to raise awareness about a cause I believe in. I do it so that people will ask questions. They will inquire, and I will share my story. If they believe that what I am doing is a right and just cause, they might join in. On June 15th, it will be my second year being a vegetarian. I came across a few disturbing tales, pictures, and videos about the horrors and cruelties that happen everyday to millions of animals across the globe. This was not something I wanted to continue supporting. So the next day, I was Vegan. I kept it up for two months, and then decided it was unhealthy for me. I took it down a step to Vegetarianism. I still don't drink milk, however. After I found out some disturbing things about dairy farms, I just couldn't do it. The taste no longer flattered me.

I am often questioned and criticized about my beliefs concerning animal cruelty. I have come to realize that animal rights don't matter to many people. When asked, "Why are you a vegetarian?" my response usually does not satisfy them. They deny all cruelties that go on 'behind stage'. What they do not understand is their ignorance. They are told one thing, and they beleive it. And I know, they think the same towards me. However, this is untrue. I have been told that cruelties do happen, and I have been told that they don't. I simply put two and two together, and realized that this is both true. I understand that every single slaughterhouse across the globe does not engage in animal cruelty. But, the sad fact is, that many of them do. Especially in developing countries. When I go to the store, I have absolutley no idea where my meat comes from, do you? This is one of the main reasons why I chose to keep up with my vegetarianism. I do not know where the cow I am eating came from. Was it from a slaughterhouse that tortured it, or one that nurtured it? The sad thing is that so much is hidden from us. We are only told what the media wants to tell us, and nothing else. We are left to make decisions on our own. I know that my choice for vegetarianism isn't going to change the world. The only thing I hope for is that many people will ask me why I chose it. Once I give my reason and case, they will be left to chose for themselves whether or not they agree and would like to join in.

Which brings me to another story. Only a few hours ago, I was introduced to a new case. Invisible Children. Heard of it? No? Well, that's about to change. http://www.invisiblechildren.com/home.php . Children in northern Uganda sleep in fear that they might be abducted by Joseph Kony's rebel army. They fear that they will be taken hostage, and forced to become a killing machine. The evil doings that are currently taking place are absolutely shocking. People have come so close to bringing Kony to justice, only to fail and leave the hopeful devastated. Three young men on an innocent trip in Africa came to learn of this tragic war. They had a dream. They decided they were going to do whatever they could to save these 'invisible children'. They started the campaign, and millions followed. But it would have been nothing without those millions, that is what many people fail to realize. The millions are what make it count. We put all of these propositions into effect. We generate more millions, and more, all through spreading awareness in our own way.

You can change the world in your own way. Don't be discouraged by the lazy critics. They don't understand. They are not compassionate, they are skeptic. Their aspirations are pitiful, and they envy yours. Be the best you can be. Make your life worth something; get out there and change the world.

4 comments:

  1. Hi this is kelsey durrant. Ya know I don't entirely agree with everything you believe and that's normal but you have given me a new perspective on some things I believe. I just really respect your drive and passion. What you do is of great worth to yourself and others who are influenced by you. Thanks for inspiring me and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will combine our positive side, goodness, righteousness,charity, good stuff to change the World. Very righteous deeds to serve people and the nature. Inspiring!!! Plant trees and play sports are best way to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful comments! :) It's great to hear the feedback. I love to know that I've inspired some people :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good. This is Maria. I know you probably don't know me very well or at all, haha. But i saw the link on facebook and I decided to click on it. It is inspiring, and the perspective you give on it, its... so different. I think that anyone that has read this has walked out with something to think about and maybe even some...inspiration? Idk if that is the word I'm looking for but, this is really great.

    ReplyDelete