Saturday, March 28, 2009

Watch out for the White Snow Moles!

They’ll getcha!


Thursday I took the day off of school to go skiing with my uncle Ron. We had planned to go up to Snowbasin around 8:00AM. However, the weather looked quite miserable.. with temperatures below 20 and wind speeds above 20.. We decided to wait a little bit, and to check around the other resorts.

We went to breakfast at Ihop, and by the time we got back, the weather seemed to be clearing up a little. However, we did chose to go to Brighton instead, due to mainly proximity and cost. We were totally stoked when we got up there, the weather seemed fairly nice, not to mention TONS OF POWDER.

But what I hadn’t known was that my dearest uncle Ron didn’t know how to ski powder! He was used to the iced-over groomed runs of Philly! He didn’t have a clue what he was missing out on!

Our first run proved to be quite a challenge. Of course, I took the most powdered-up run there was. I lost uncle Ron in a heartbeat. As I waited, I began to catch sight of this dark shape, seemingly tumbling down the mountain! He’d get up out of the powder, attempt to ski, and then fall down again! I had no idea that he couldn’t ski the pow.. :P . At the end of the run, he informed me that he’d rather stay on the groomed runs. I took the advice, but I wasn’t going to let him quit that easily!

We took a few more runs, and then I decided to take him up Great Western. I taught him a few techniques for powder skiing, and then showed him how it was done. I skied down the hill, and waited at the bottom to check on his progress. He was doing pretty okay, until about half way down. Out of nowhere, he flies into the air, spiraling downwards in a nose dive/face plant fashion. He crashes into the powder, face first! I was cracking up! I really couldn’t stop laughing. When he finally got to the bottom, I told him that he need to fix his nose-dive form, because it was a little sloppy. He laughed, and stated that the white snow moles pulled on his skis and forced him upward. I laughed, and we continued down the mountain.

When we finally got back to my dad’s house, uncle Ron shared his experience with the family. He got really seriously when talking about the snow moles, and Sheridan and my dad actually believed it at first! Sheridan’s reaction was priceless, she was totally fooled. But I couldn’t help from cracking up, so they eventually found out.

The day was a really good experience. Aside from pouncing around in the fresh powder, I also got to know my uncle a lot better. We exchanged funny family stories and talked about many other random subjects. I’m glad this opportunity was presented to me :).

No comments:

Post a Comment